1) Basmati Rice – Any Good Quality – 3 cups.
2) Hot Water – 6 cups
Ingredients “A” for making rice tasty
1) Ghee or Oil – 3-4 table spoon
2) Big onion – 1 big size – chopped thinly
3) Ginger – 1 ½” chopped.
4) Garlic – 5 nos. - Chopped.
6) Cardamom – 5 nos.
7) Cloves – 5 nos.
8) Bay leaves – crushed
9) Cinnamon stick – 1 ½” – 5- 6 pieces.
10) Lime juice – from 1 lime.
11) Salt - As required.
Wash rice and strain off all the water by placing the rice in a strainer, so that you can make sure no water content is the rice before frying.
Heat oil or ghee in a big non stick pan and add 6-9 ingredients from the above list “A” and sauté for few seconds, then put thinly sliced big onion and sauté until transparent. Then add the grinded mixture of green chilly, garlic & ginger and sauté until the raw smell out. Then add rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add hot water along with salt and lime juice and cook the rice till each grain is separate and almost cooked but not fully cooked. (Add more water, if needed so that the rice doesn’t stick together.)
Ingredients “B” for making Egg Masala
1) Boiled Eggs – 4nos.
2) Big Onion – 2 big size( chopped thinly)
3) Green Chilly – 5-6 nos. ( chopped)
4) Garlic – 7-8 nos. ( chopped)
5) Ginger – a big piece ( 3- 3 ½”)
6) Tomato – 2 nos.( medium size)Chopped
7) Biriyani Masala – 2 tea spoon. (You can use Eastern Biriyani Masala or you can make the
- Fennel seeds (Perinjeerakam) - ½ tsp
- Cloves (Gramboo) - 4
- Cumin seeds (Jeerakam) - ½ tsp
- Cardamom (Elakkaya) - 2
- Cinnamon stick (Karukapatta) - 1” inch length
- Nutmeg (Jaathikka) - ¼ tsp grated
- Mace (JaathiPoo) - 1
- Star Anise (Thakkolam) - 1
8) Coriander leaves – Chopped – As required.
9) Oil – 3-4 table spoon.
10) Salt – As required.
Take a pan & heat oil then add chopped big onion and sauté until transparent. Then add the grinded mixture of green chilly, garlic & ginger and sauté until the raw smell out. Then add chopped tomatoes and stir fry till it is mashed and forms gravy. Then add Biriyani Masala, coriander leaves and halved boiled eggs sauté for few minutes and switch off the flame. (You can cook the halved boiled eggs in a pan putting littlie oil, salt, black pepper powder & littlie chilly powder and sauté for few second and keep aside and serve separately with the Biriyani)
You can add the cooked rice in to this “Masala” littlie by littlie till the rice is evenly coated with the gravy.
Place a plain THAVA (Dosa kallu) on a medium heat and place the covered Biriyani vessel over the thava for about 7- 8 minutes and serve the Biriyani hot with sufficient garnishing. (Fried cashew nuts, fried onions and salads.)