How to Make Bamboo Rice /Mulayari Payasam
1) Bamboo seed/rice - 200 Gms.
2) Sago ( Chauwari)- 150 gms
3) Jaggery ( Sarkkara) – 500
4) Pure Cow ghee- 6-7 Table Spoon.
5) Cashew nuts- 100 gm.
6) Raisins (Kissmiss)- 100 Gms
7) Cardamom Powder- 2 ½ teaspoon
8) Salt – ½ teaspoon
9) Grated Coconut –3 nos.
1) Extract the Coconut milk from the grated coconut using a mixer grinder 3 times with enough
water and keep it separately.
a) 1st extract of coconut milk (approximately 2 cups- thick one).
b) 2nd extract of coconut milk (3 cups- Semi thick).
c) 3rd extract of coconut milk (3 cups- Thin milk).
2) Soak bamboo rice overnight and cook in a pressure cooker. (Make sure your Bamboo rice is cooked well as it will not get cooked in jaggery mix).
3) Cook the chauwari in 3-4 glasses of water till soft and transparent and keep aside.
4) Now make Jaggery syrup (Take a pan add the jiggery with water (500ml) and boil it until all the jaggery dissolved in water. Then strain it using a kitchen strainer to remove the mud particles and keep aside.
5) Fry, cashew nuts, raisins and chips of coconut separately in a frying pan using little ghee and keep aside.
6) Make the Cardamom pods get powdered and keep aside.
7) Take an Uruli or a wide pan to make the Bamboo rice payasam . Put 2 table spoon of ghee in the pan then add cooked rice and sauté for few minutes then add the jaggery syrup along with cooked chauwari in a low flame till the mixture starts to mass together.
8) Now add the third thin coconut extract till thickened, Then add the second extract of coconut milk with 2-3 table spoon of ghee and cook till it becomes thick.
9) Now put the 3rd Extract of milk and stir well (Don’t let it boil) and switch off the flame immediately and remove it from the stove top. Finally add the fried cashews, raisins, along with cardamom powder. Let it sit for ½ hour uncovered. Then serve the payasam at room temperature/ or chilled.