How to Make Uzhunnu Vada
1) Urad Daal ( Uzhunu Parippu) – 1 cup
2) Shallots – 7 nos. ( chopped finely)
3) Ginger – 1 no( 1” piece- chopped)
4) Curry leaves – few leaves- chopped
5) Coriander leaves – few – Chopped
6) Green chilly – 3 nos.- Chopped
7) Whole pepper – 10 -15 nos.
8) Asafetida – 2 pinch
9) Salt – to taste.
10) Baking soda- ¼ teaspoon
11) Oil – as required
Clean and soak the uzhunnu parippu for about 2 hours minimum. Then drain the daal and grind with out water in a grinder little by little and repeat the process until you get a thick smooth paste ( If necessary – add 1 ½ table spoon of water only. )
Add 2- 10 ingredients in the thick batter and mix well. Keep aside the batter for about 10- 15 minutes for raising. Make the mixture to patties shape and put a hole in the middle with your thumb and deep fry the vada in hot oil in a medium heat. When it become golden brown and crisp remove from the oil and drain the excess oil using the kitchen towels and Serve hot with coconut chutney.