23 January 2011
Tabouli/ 'Tabbouleh' Recipe (Bulgur/ burghul"/Burgol-Wheat Salad) Recipe.
What is Tabouli? It’s a Middle Eastern Recipe originated in Lebanon. This salad is rich in vitamin C & Fiber full. Definitely it is a low fat recipe.
My Aerobics instructor is a lady from Lebanon, She told me this low fat recipe will keep me healthy and fit and also help to lose weight. You can enjoy this Tabouli Recipe as a side dish, appetizer or as a filling to your sandwiches.
1) Fine Bulgur wheat – 1 cup
2) Onion – medium 1 no. ( Chopped)
3) Parsley Leaves- 1 bunche. ( chopped finely) - (Due to non - availability of parsley leaves, I used lettuce leaves.)
4) Medium tomato -1 no.( Chopped)
5) Medium large bunch scallions( spring Onion)- 1 bunch- Chopped
6) Lemon Juice- 1 lemon medium
7) Olive Oil – ½ Table spoon
8) Freshly ground Black pepper Powder– 1 teaspoon
9) Carrot – ½ ( Chopped-Optional)
10) Salt – to Taste
Clean the bulgur with cold water and remove the excess water and add 1 cup of hot water in it and leave it for half an hour ( you can even soak the chopped onion in the same mix, if you like the bite of raw onion, you can add the onion later.)
Place bulgur wheat in a large bowl, toss with parsley, tomatoes, onions, scallions and finally add pepper, lime juice, salt and olive oil and toss gently or mix with a spoon carefully to integrate all the ingredients. Taste the same this stage and add flavors as per your taste buds, if required. Let it sit for an hour in the refrigerator for more taste.