9 February 2011
1) Fresh chicken – 1 kg
2) Coriander seeds – 2 ½ teaspoons.
3) Cumin seeds - 2 teaspoons
4) Black peppercorns – ½ teaspoon
5) Whole dry red chilly – 6 nos.
6) Ginger - 2 inch piece
7) Garlic - 12 cloves.( medium size)
8) Onion – 3 nos. ( medium)
9) Tomato – 3 nos. ( large)
10) Ghee –2 table spoon ( I did not use the ghee, because I am on diet)
11) Oil – 2 table spoon
12) Salt – to taste
13) Water – 1 cup
14) Coriander leaves – 2-3 tablespoon.
15) Capsicum (optional) - If you like add at the end.
Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds and black peppercorns and grind to a coarse powder. Grind red chilies, ginger and garlic to a fine paste Heat ghee and oil in a kadai (or Pan), add onion and sauté till golden brown. Add half the coarsely ground spice powder and red chilli-ginger-garlic paste and continue to sauté for three to four minutes. Add tomatoes and salt and continue to sauté till the tomatoes become soft. Add chicken and stir. Add coriander leaves and the remaining coarsely ground spice powder and mix. Add one cup of water and stir. Cover and cook on medium heat till the chicken is done. Serve hot.
Courtesy: Chicken Kadai Indian Recipe By Sanjeev Kapoor (I did some little changes from the original recipe)