How to make (Nadan)-(Vegetable fried rice.
1) Basmati Rice – Any Good Quality – 2 cups.
2) Normal Water – As required
3) Cardamom – 6 nos.
4) Black peppercorns- 10 nos.
4) Cloves – 6 nos.
6) Cinnamon stick – 1 ½” – 5- 6 pieces.
9) Salt - As required.
1) Ginger – Finely chopped 1 tea spoon
2) Garlic – Finally chopped 1 tea spoon
3) Green Chilly – Finely chopped 1 tea spoon
4) Onion – Finely chopped -2 big onions.
5) Carrot – Chopped 1no.
6) Beans – Chopped few
7) Cooked green peas- as required
8) Oil – 1 – 2 table spoon
1) Cashew nuts – Fried (as required)
2) Raisins – Fried (As required)
3) Big Onion - Chopped thinly and sauté until golden brown– Fried- 2 onions
4) Fresh pineapple – (as required)
5) Ghee- 2 table spoon
Take a medium pot of salted water and add black peppercorns, Cinnamon sticks, Cloves & cardamom and boil it. When it starts boil add rice until it done. Drain the excess water from the rice and place it aside.
In the meantime take a pan and add some oil and fry ginger, garlic and green chilly for few seconds. Then add chopped onions and sauté until translucent, then add chopped beans and carrots and fry for few more minutes( half frying is enough to retain the crispiness of the vegetables), then add cooked green peas (cook it separate with enough water and salt) and mix all the ingredients well and remove the pan from the fire & keep it aside .
Then, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a separate pan. Fry raisins and cashews separately till the raisins become plump and the cashews turn light brown in color and keep aside for garnishing. In the same pan (use more oil or ghee – if required), add sliced onions and fry until it turns light golden brown
Adding fried onions to the recipe gives it a unique taste which is unmatched with any other ingredients.
Take a big vessel and grease the bottom and its sides with some ghee, then add one layer of rice, then mixed vegetables, then fried onions, then cashew& raisins and finally chopped pineapples. Repeat the processes until the ingredients are finished.
Finally, place a plain THAVA (Dosa kallu) on a medium heat and place the covered vessel over the thava for about 10-15 minutes and serve the fried rice hot with sufficient side dishes.