Nan Khatai ( Indian Cookies)
1) Maida – 1 Cup
2) ½ cup ground sugar (Measure after powdering)
3) ½ Cup of Oil or ½ cup of Ghee (clarified butter/ melted and cooled) or ½ cup of veg shortening.
4) 1 teaspoon Baking powder
5) Vanilla Essence- 3 drops (Optional)
6) 2 teaspoons chopped cashew nuts( Optional)
7) Cardamom -2 nos.( Optional)
8) Cloves (Grambu) – 2 no. ( Optional)
9) Cherry – For Garnishing ( Optional)
Powder the sugar along with cardamom and cloves and keep aside. Sieve the maida with baking powder.
Mix the sugar and ghee to a smooth paste, then mix the flour little by little with sugar- ghee paste to form a dough and finally and chopped nuts and keep aside the dough for about ½ an hour.
Make balls out of the dough and flatten them lightly with your hands. Place them on a greased baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for about 10-12 minutes. Once you see the small cracks on Nan khatai, bake for another two minutes and remove on a cooling rack.
Note: Baking time differs in each oven, so bake according to your ovens capacity.